February 2011-August 2012

13 February 2011

Miracles

"... has the day of miracles ceased? Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved? Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought; and it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men; wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for it is because of unbelief, and all is vain." -Moroni 7:35-37

I have witnessed several miracles over the last few weeks as I've prepared to consecrate 18 months of my life to serving the Lord. But in particular, I wanted to share my experience of trying to get to the temple.

I am a big planner, so I of course had everything worked out in my head of when I would go to the temple. In trying to work out the details, I changed my initial plans several times to accommodate various family members. And then once I had already delayed it to just a week before I left, we got the ice storm of the century and my plans were thwarted once again. I was very disappointed because I had my heart set on going to Nauvoo, and I really didn't want to go through the day before entering the MTC. So after coming to terms with the situation and realizing it was out of my control, I prayed that God would just help me get to a temple, and that I would be edified by going to His House. And not even 24 hrs later, the second winter storm decided to change course and completely miss the central portions of Illinois and Indiana, leaving a full week for snow and ice to be cleared off the roads and allowing me to still get to Nauvoo for a quick trip.

Having lived in Nauvoo for a time, it feels like coming home every time I'm there. Nauvoo is a special place for me, not only because I lived there, but also because of the time I spent there with my father, the person I became there, and for my many ancestors to settled Nauvoo with the Saints. The Temple was just as beautiful as I had remembered from the Open House and dedication. I was blessed to see several people I had known while living there. My stepfather saw several people he knew from California. The weather was beautiful. I had help at every corner so that I could accomplish my purposes there in the very short 24 hrs I had to do them in.

These daily miracles, or tender mercies, are so common in our lives. I'm just grateful that God has helped me see them more over the last few days. He is a God of Miracles, and He will always be a God of Miracles.

Expect a miracle to happen today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections of Christ

">