February 2011-August 2012

28 November 2011

November 28, 2011 Let the Holidays Begin

The last week has been a pretty bizarre one in the way of our routine. Hna. Erickson had a leadership training on Tuesday and Wednesday, and then Thanksgiving, but we still had some great experiences. Tuesday I spent with Hna. Williams (my former companion) and her greenie, Hna. Quick. Turns out I MET Hna. Quick several years ago. I'm good friends with her older brother and his wife, and I know her older sister, too. ANYWAY, small world. Wednesday I spent with the Hermanas in my first area--Canyon Country. But we studied the whole time I was with them because of this new greenie training program that came out. So I was bummed I didn't get to see anyone, but I got LOTS of hours of studying in, so I guess that was needed! But I was relieved to be back with Hna. Erickson. I am just SO GLAD that SHE is my companion. I'm going to definitely enjoy the time we have left together!

Well, I started getting some weird phone calls from Vladmir. And last night he called and thought he was talking to me and started saying some weird things again, and so Hna. E. called him out on it. I didn't know what was going on because I was in our bedroom, when I just heard through the wall, "Are you in love with Hermana Blackburn?" in a very loud, serious voice...hahaha... I about died when I heard her say that! Well, her bold missionary self made it perfectly clear to him after his confession in the affirmative that I could not nor would not be interested in him romantically now or ever, and that we can't teach him anymore. Well... I have mixed feelings about that whole situation... I have been teaching him for 4 months, so OF COURSE I care about him! And it is sad that I basically have to cut ties with him for now. But I'm also irritated that he would act like that. I mean he's 63... so I'm not sure where he got the idea that he could get away with that... haha And I also think it's really funny and awkward how Hna. Erickson called him out about it. Oh man... never a dull moment as a missionary!

In other news, we have no gas in our apartment. I guess it was never signed up for, so somehow we've been having it for free the last two months we've lived there? Well, it was turned off on Tuesday, and we thought it must've just been a fluke thing. Well, by Thursday, still nothing. So we made some phone calls and found out we never were supposed to have it to begin with. And the gas company won't turn it on until Dec. 8! haha So no heat, no stove, no oven, and... NO HOT WATER! Yeah... it had been a LONG time since I'd taken such a freezing cold shower... but we worked it out with the English Elders to use their showers when they're out every couple days... haha

Thanksgiving was pretty uneventful. The highlight was setting a baptismal date with Cesar for Dec. 18th! We ate with Jose and Marta... tomales. And then of course we had Thanksgiving Dinner with the Vargas family an hour later. I felt bad that I barely had any room, but I couldn't have said no to Marta without hurting her feelings! So, we zipped up our extra-large man suits and ate two dinners that night and wanted to die afterward. haha But Hna. Vargas had a delicious meal prepared for us! And to my pleasant surprise, I didn't have to eat Turkey this year!! SO HAPPY!! (That has always been my least favorite part of Thanksgiving, and I never eat it if I can avoid it. haha) Like I good Latina, she made us CHICKEN! haha I know I eat chicken at almost every dinner here on the mission, but I still prefer it over turkey any day... And the rest of the food was all great, too. I definitely was counting my blessings to have any food at all!

On Friday I gave the training at our District Meeting... I talked about the role of the Holy Ghost in conversion, and how we as missionaries can rely on and facilitate that better. I learned a lot from preparing it! I hope someone got something out of it... haha.

David was confirmed on Sunday without any glitches... PHEW! I'm just so very happy for him! And I'm SO excited for Cesar, too. I hope they become friends with people in the ward to make their transition easier once we leave. That's why members are SO CRUCIAL in missionary work!

We have zone conference on Wednesday, which is always nice. So hopefully next week I'll have something a little more... spiritually enlightening to share with you all. We'll see. ;) Have a great week! I love you all!

Love,
Hermana Blackburn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections of Christ

">